An assistive technology device is any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
Assistive Technology (AT) is technology used by individuals with disabilities in order to perform functions that might otherwise be difficult or impossible. In short, Assistive Technology helps people to participate fully in all aspects of life.
Assistive technology services are any services that directly assist an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. People can find information at the Technology Access Center about any type of assistive technology for any type of need. However, center personnel specialize in assistive technologies not offered by other agencies in middle Tennessee and provide individual services centered on specific types of technologies including:
- Alternative/adapted computer access
- Telecommunications access
- Reading and writing adaptations and alternatives
- Modification of educational materials
- Alternative/augmentative communication with speech generating devices
- Adapted toys and recreational activities
- Accessible home, work, and school environments
- Electronic and low tech aids for daily living
- Technology designed for individual safety especially in homes
- Modified tools for specific tasks
- Low-vision aids
- Braille printing